Essential Information for Athletes:
Daily Value (Click on the, “Calorie Intake” link for more information.)
Grains Fruits Veggies Milk/Dairy Meats and Beans Water Fats/Oils
Discretionary Calories (extras): about 500 calories
Glycemic Index (GI): low: less than 55, moderate: 55 to 70, high: more than 70
Wake up/Throughout the day: Low, Before workouts: Moderate, After workouts: High
Protein Needs: 1.2g to 1.6g for each 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of body weight
140 lbs / 2.2 lbs = 64 kg x 1.2g = 77g of protein each day
Team Sports: 1.2g, Weight Lifting: 1.4g, Power/Sprint: 1.5g, Long Distance Running: 1.6g
1. Water: Average of 64-96 oz. per day (Six average sized bottles of water)
1. Drink 6 oz, of water before starting your run/workout/race/sport.
2. Drink 12 oz, of water after your run/workout/race/sport.
3. Gatorade: Average of 32 oz. per day (One medium sized bottle)
1. Drink 4 oz, of Gatorade before starting your run/workout/race.
2. Drink 10 oz, of Gatorade after your run/workout/race.
3. Soda: Average of 32 oz. every 5 days (Soda is not the best idea for you if you are trying to stay hydrated)
4. Fruit Drinks: Average of 10 oz. per day (Not complete fruit juice)
An example of this is SunnyD Smooth!
5. More Fruit Drinks: Average of 16 oz. per day (100% pure fruit)
This is a nice substitution for eating actual fruit. (Remember 16 oz. counts for two servings of fruit)
6. Dark Hot Chocolate: Average of 8 oz. per day. (Good source of antioxidants)
7. Protein: Average of 16 oz. per day. (Solids or liquids do not matter)